Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Defining Myself

At first I thought I would copy/paste the guidelines and definitions of sociopaths and psychopaths here, then decided against it. It really doesn't serve much of a purpose. You, as a reader, might like to have it handy in order to pin traits to me and go, “Hmm, yeah, maybe he is a psychopath.”

Understandable, but I don't care about that. I don't need any affirmation.
I don't need anyone to tell me who or what I am and I definitely don't need to prove myself to anyone. Another reason I won't bother to post it is that I'm not aiming for this to be an educational blog. I'm aiming for insight based off personal experience and ideals, not research and public study. If you do want to read the basic definitions of these things, a quick Google search will help you out. The information is nothing secretive or hard to find. (I recommend searching: Sociopathy, psychopathy, and anti-social personality disorder.)

I will step into some of the territory though, and that's the distinction between a psychopath and a sociopath.
Mainly, the difference lies with how each interacts with the people around them. In a nutshell, you will probably find that a psychopath is better at blending in with the people around them. They're often described as smarter and better at mimicking emotions than a socio might be. Sociopaths are often, apparently, easier to spot. They're more prone to criminal activity (and getting caught) and come across more awkward than convincing when they try to blend in with the general populace. Of course, you can find websites that claim the exact opposite, pinning the attributes differently. Yet another reason I feel like it would be useless and unneeded to talk at length about “professional” distinctions here. Too many conflicting schools of thought on the subject.

Despite all of it, I've used both terms interchangeably for quite a while, for no real reason other than that I have always found little distinction between the two when it comes to my own personality. Compiling both lists, I can easily find things in each that apply to me. I'm smart AND sometimes reckless. I mimic emotions very well, BUT also have plenty of awkward moments.

So am I a psychopath or sociopath? Honestly, I don't really prefer one or the other. All I know is that I'm not like the majority of people. Cold-hearted and emotionally chilled numb.

An ice king.

No comments:

Post a Comment