Friday, July 18, 2014

Fake Sociopaths/What I'm Not

So in an effort to expose my blog and beliefs a bit more (harder than it sounds), I've been scouring the internet and joining a handful of other sites, forums, and blogs. Two in particular stood out to me, however not for any good reasons.

The first one was psychforums. 
Despite the fact that I could barely register, what with the site continually giving me error messages and logging me out with every mouse click, the forums were so heavily policed it was insane. When trying to choose a username, I was met with the message that it contained disallowed words. The username I was aiming for was ModernSociopath, my normal handle. Apparently sociopath, psychopath, and psycho are words they don't consider appropriate for users to go by. Further reading into the forum's rules, terms, and guidelines, I found that it was a forum more geared towards “recovery” and people seeking a helpful community that shared their disorder.
It all screamed to me that any notion of glorifying, enjoying, or accepting one's sociopathy (self diagnosed or professionally) would be discouraged to the fullest extent. Still, I decided to browse.

Topics ran wide, but many things still turned me away. Namely, the peer hate I noticed all over the forum threads. Nothing up front and glaring, but definitely noticeable. A snide remark here, a disbelief there. So many petty people ragging on each other, despite all of them being in the same forum for the same thing. The second issue I had was with the “titles” users had given themselves. Recovering Anti-social PD. Bipolar Stage1. Type A ASP. Type B schizophrenic. Professionally diagnosed borderline. I don't even know what those mean. Are they real?
It was as if many of the users had something to prove by posting their diagnosis, which made no sense to me. A badge? For what? There's no one to prove you right or wrong. You're just needlessly fluffing yourself up.

The other site I found I didn't like was theexperienceproject. I joined, noticed a group titled I Am a Sociopath, and posted. I posted a message about how I was living the sociopathic renaissance that's been happening these past couple of years and loved seeing how many people were owning up to what they believed they were. My post was immediately met with another user who claimed I wasn't a “true sociopath”.

I have since deleted both accounts.

I guess I could understand this behavior better if I knew fully that all these other users were, indeed, fellow socios. We're combative, secretive, mean, and always looking to win a fight. But I doubt that is the case. I think the majority of them are just lonely internet trolls. 

But still, if these were the reactions I was getting online, what kind of reaction would this blog be getting?

Well, maybe I can help you check off a few things that I'm not.

I am not an angsty teenager.
I was never abused, suicidal, depressive, or harmful to myself (as in a cutter would be).
I'm not some bitter loser living in my parent's basement.
I'm not a sad virgin or some loner looking for an angle to make me interesting.
I'm not some Sherlock/Dexter/The Following fangeek (though I like two of those shows).

To say the reactions I saw and had on both these sites were disappointing would be correct. I was hoping for something different. Admittedly I wasn't expecting a strong community of sociopaths giving each other virtual pats on the back, but certainly not a bunch of weirdo internet trolls taking over whole forums dedicated to something they probably don't even care about or can truly relate to.

Oh well, I guess.
What else can I do besides hope that, in time, I'll be able to weed out the fakes and trolls from the true like minded who've taken to the web like I have.
I can't be the only one. Can I?

No comments:

Post a Comment